Harley Pelvic Care Centre
What is a Pelvic Care Centre?
It is a highly specialized facility where different specialists work together to offer multidisciplinary care to patients complaining of various diseases or conditions affecting the pelvic organs. The pelvis is the anatomical area where different organs, such urinary bladder/urinary structures, reproductive organs, rectum and anus are localized which are usually treated by a single specialist according to the most prevalent type of symptoms that the patient is complaining of. In many circumstances pelvic organs belonging to different systems such as Intestinal, Urinary and Reproductive organs may be affected at the same time and therefore in order to achieve better and more comprehensive care, a multidisciplinary approach is the only solution in order to effectively improve a patient’s condition.
Which specialists work in the Pelvic Care Centre?
Urologists with neuro-urology skills, Gynecologists, Gastroenterologists and Colorectal surgeons are the core competences that should be present in any Pelvic Care Centre. In addition to these specialists, specialized personnel in charge of rehabilitation treatments are usually present to complement the activity of the centre.
Which pathologies/conditions do we treat at the Pelvic Care Centre?
We provide initial consultation assessment diagnosis and innovative care option for:
- Chronic constipation
- Complex colonic and rectal polyps
- Common anorectal conditions
- Anal and fecal incontinence
- Outlet type constipation and obstructed defecation syndromes
- Urinary incontinence
- Urinary retention and other voiding dysfunctions
- Chronic pelvic pain
- Sexual dysfunctions age and non-age related in both sexes
- Pelvic organs prolapse
- Advanced Gynecologic screening modalities and disease prevention
- Obstetric services and delivery assistance
Most of these conditions, although may not be life-threatening, constitute a burden for the patient greatly affecting the quality of life.
Which diagnostic tests do we routinely perform at the Pelvic Care Centre?
- Dynamic MRI proctogram to identify defecation disorders and pelvic organs prolapse
- Endoanal Ultrasound to assess anal sphincters and perianal tissues by Consultant Gastroenterologist
- Abdominal, Pelvic, Duplex US scan by Consultant Gastroenterologist
- Obstetric and Gynecology US scan by Consultant Obstetric and Gynecologist
- Pelvic US scan by Consultant Urologyst
- Anal manometry and balloon expulsion test to assess anal sphincter function by Consultant Colorectal surgeon
- Advanced Urodynamic assessment for chronic urinary dysfunction and impaired voiding conditions
- Endoanal and superficial non-needle electromyography recruitment to assess electrical activity of anal sphincter, coordination of muscle of the pelvic floor and recruitment of antagonist muscles by Consultant Colorectal surgeon;
- Endovaginal and superficial non-needle electromyography recruitment to assess electrical activity of vaginal muscle, coordination of muscle of the pelvic floor and recruitment of antagonist muscles by Consultant Urologist
- Pelvic Neurophysiology electromyography end evoked potentials tests to assess electrical conductivity of Pudendal nerve by Consultant Urologist
- Complete Urodynamic tests to assess urinary conditions including incontinence urgency and voiding problems
- Peripheral Nerve Evaluation (PNE) to assess whether sacral nerve neuro modulation is effective and appropriate for certain condition such as anal incontinence and other lower urinary tract dysfunctions
Which treatments do we provide at the Pelvic Care Centre?
At Harley Pelvic Care Centre we offer a step-wise approach for the common to the most complicated pelvic conditions. All treatments are based on the evidence of diagnostic tests and no treatment is offered on empirical basis. We have a vast array of most advanced diagnostic treatment modalities which are effective and proven to resolve or improve most of these troubling conditions. Most of these diagnostic tests and treatment modalities are unknown to the UAE and Harley Pelvic Care Centre is the only institution in the entire country where these services are offered in an organized and multidisciplinary setting.
- Minimally invasive and advanced procedures for colo-proctology conditions such as hemorrhoids, anal fistula and non-surgical treatment for anal spasm and anal pain;
- Routine and advanced endoscopy services including polypectomies, endoscopic mucosal resection and trans-anal resection;
- Routine advanced laparoscopy for pelvic organ prolapse and other benign gynecologic and urologic conditions;
- Routine and advanced endoscopic-urologic procedure for diagnosis and treatment con urinary tract and bladder diseases including stone disease;
- Non-scalpel minimally invasive vasectomy;
- Advanced treatments of chronic constipation and irritable bowel syndrome;
- Peripheral nerve stimulation for chronic pelvic pain, functional anal and urinary conditions and some forms of anal and urinary incontinences;
- Biofeedback and pelvic muscle retraining with and without electrical stimulation for various pelvic conditions such as incontinences, obstructed defecation, pelvic dyssynergia, chronic pelvic pain, voiding dysfunctions, etc.
- Peripheral nerve anesthetic blocks under EMG guidance for chronic pelvic pain or anal spasm;
- Peripheral nerve denervation for chronic pelvic pain with Pulsed Radiofrequency for chronic pelvic pain and other conditions;
- Sacral Nerve Neuromodulation permanent implants for chronic pelvic conditions such as fecal and urinary incontinences;
- Sexual enhancement treatments for chronic age and non-age related sexual dysfunctions both in female and male.
At Harley Pelvic Care Centre we make sure that all procedures and diagnostic tests required are performed with minimal discomfort and inconvenience to the patient. Anesthesiologists are fully involved and integrated in the practice making sure that the highest quality of care is delivered with the best possible patient’s experience.
How can you be referred or seen by a physician at the Harley Pelvic Care Centre?
- If you have seen a physician elsewhere, he or she may refer you to a specific physician at the Pelvic Care Centre according to your most prevalent symptom;
- If you want to see a specific physician for what is your most prevalent symptoms you may do so;
- If you are uncertain which physician is best for your initial consultation, our receptionist will book you to one physician initially according to your most prevalent symptoms;
- Internal referrals and multidisciplinary care is activated whenever a case requires more than one specialist’s expertise; you don’t have to worry about that as it is an automatic and internal process.
Dr. Francesco Cappellano (Pelvic Care Center Director)
Specialties: Consultant Urology and Neurourology, Urodynamics
Dr. Massimo Cristaldi (Pelvic Care Center Co-director)
Specialties: Consultant General and Colorectal Surgeon
Dr. Ahmed Abdel Samie, MD, AGAF, FACP, FEBGH, FEFIM (Medical Director)
Specialties: Consultant Gastroenterology and
Hepatology, Department of Gastroenterology
Dr. Gary Marshall Hartstein
Specialties: Consultant Anesthetist
Dr. Raquel Martinez
Department: Obstetrics and gynecology
Specialties: Obstetrics and gynecology specialist
Dr. Rhonda Miller
Department: Obstetrics and gynecology
Specialties: Obstetrics and gynecology consultant