Welcome to Harley Street state-of-the-art Pediatric Surgery Day Unit! We are thrilled to have the opportunity to provide exceptional care and support for our young patients and their families. At our unit, we understand the unique needs and concerns associated with pediatric surgery, and we strive to create a safe and comforting environment for everyone involved.
Lead by Consultant Pediatric Surgeon, Dr. Niall Martin Jones, we will ensure your baby is looked after to the highest possible standards. Our dedicated team and support staff is committed to delivering the highest quality of care. All procedures are performed with local anesthetic and sucrose for comfort. Usually, your baby is so comfortable that she/he will be asleep by the end of the treatment.
Patient safety is our utmost priority. We have implemented rigorous infection control measures to ensure a sterile environment. Our operating rooms are equipped with advanced technology and monitoring systems to ensure the highest standards of safety and precision during surgery. Our anesthesiologists are experienced in administering anesthesia to children, ensuring a smooth and comfortable experience.
Dr. Jones will apply a plastic ring (‘Plastibell’) under the foreskin in a 6-minute procedure for your baby son. Baby goes home 30 minutes later with Paracetamol for pain, and Fucidin ointment to prevent infection. The ring will fall off by itself in about 10 days. There will be a yellow scab, and bleeding occurs in 1 out of every 100 operations. Come back to HSMC if bleeding is heavy.
Release of Tongue Tie
The tongue is lifted and the tie released with an electric forceps to prevent bleeding. Baby can feed immediately and goes home with Paracetamol.
Excision of Accessory Digits
The extra finger or toe is removed and a disappearing stitch is placed. Baby goes home with Paracetamol.
Excision of Umbilical Polyp
The polyp is removed and sometimes a stitch is used. Baby goes home with Paracetamol & Fucidin.
The Harley Street PSDU is unique because:
- It is delivered by a Consultant Pediatric Surgeon (not more junior staff or General Surgeons/Urologists)
- There is a dedicated nursing team to help baby and parents through each procedure
- There is a dedicated booking system with afternoon and evening slots to suit everyone
- There is prospective collection of data to ensure excellence is achieved and maintained; and
- It is the only service regionally to report outcomes in almost 4,000 babies, and the first to show a super-low post-Circumcision rate of bleeding of 1% (usually reported rates are up to 10%).
BOOK AN APPOINTMENT