Symptoms of depression especially for major depressive disorder include:
- Poor concentration and memory
- Withdrawal from social situations and activities
- Reduced sex drive
- irritability, and thoughts of death or suicide.
- Insomnia is common; in the typical pattern, a person wakes very early and cannot get back to sleep.
- Hypersomnia, or oversleeping, can also happen.
A depressed person may report multiple physical symptoms such as:
- Digestive problems (appetite often decreases, resulting in weight loss, although increased appetite and weight gain occasionally occur).
Older depressed people may have cognitive symptoms of recent onset, such as forgetfulness, and a more noticeable slowing of movements.